Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ist ride!

I just came in from riding the Chief for the first time in my life! Sorry no video. Weather was pretty cruddy, and it was just a down the block and back ride.

The Indian left hand throttle is quite the challenge for me. Felt like I had never ridden a motorcycle before. I may end up switching throttle and shifter so I don't kill myself.

The clutch drags enough to grind a bit going into 1st, but seems to work fine in all other respects. Transmission shifts very nicely underway. Got it into all three gears.

The ride was cut short when it started to smoke. The scavenge pump doesn't seem to be working. I'll have to sort that next.

It desperately needs wiring, and I need to figure out the best battery/regulator solution... $$$ is tight, so I need to be P A T I E N T . . .

Never was my strong suit.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty cool.

    I was poking around a little last night. Chief wet sumping sounds really common, particularly if they've sat. You might drain the sump and see if it comes back immediately. Sounds like there are several guys that can test the pump.

    ReplyDelete