Saturday, April 14, 2012

Oil pump base surface grinding

I apologize in advance for overexposure of my Indian innards... I have been told that I need to surface grind the base of the oil pump to remove all traces of wear from where the scavenge gears ride. I then shim the gears with a .002" and/or .004" gasket, just enough to eliminate binding. Just for reference, a sheet of newspaper is about .003" thick!

I am wondering if this means simple removing the light scoring where the right (driven) gear rides in these pics (this will only require removing another .002" or so), or whether I need to also eliminate the grooves at the outer diameter of both gears (which would require maybe .020").
I can't tell if the grooves at the outer diameter are intentional. Expert opinions?

No comments:

Post a Comment