Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Clearances

Okay, time for some dumb questions... I got a large micrometer today so I could mic the pistons and cylinders. What I found confuses me a little.


The cylinder walls are virtually perfect - glassy smooth, and they measure 3.308" to 3.310". Standard bore on a Chief is 3.250", so that would make the cylinders .060" oversize.

The pistons, however, have some evidence of scoring on the skirts, and they measure 3.298" to 3.300". Since the cylinders are perfect, I suspect that somebody bored the cylinders to .060" over, but re-used the old .050" over pistons... Would someone do that?

Perfect piston skirt clearance is 0.004", but these pistons would have .008" - .010" clearance.

Seems like I should spring for new .060" over pistons, and hone the cylinders just enough to get perfect .004" clearance. Am I missing anything?

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I thought replacement pistons where normally only available in .020" increments. There are clearly +50 Indian pistons available so it certainly could be.

    ReplyDelete