Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What's under the covers?

Pulled the primary cover and transmission cover off of the Indian tonight.  I was pretty pleased with the condition of what I saw...
 The primary chain looks very good, and the engine and clutch sprockets look okay too.  Mostly, I was impressed with how clean everything was.  No gunk built up in the bottom at all.
 Likewise, the internal parts in the transmission are very clean, with only a little evidence of wear.  The simplicity of the Indian "crashbox" three-speed trannie made me laugh.  It's about in neutral right now.  Moving the sliding gear to the left is first, a little to the right is 2nd, and all the way to the right is 3rd (1:1).
Here you can see how the shifter mechanism engages the pin in the middle picture...  I think I need to order some specialized tools to proceed from here...

1 comment:

  1. Damn, that thing looks pretty sanitary.

    It's crazy how much the primary looks like a Unit Triumph on steroids.

    ReplyDelete