Saturday, September 22, 2012

PDNYC Chief

I first saw this '48 Chief pictured in the Fall 2012 AMCA magazine:

It belongs to a man named Bob Preven.  He rode it for more than a decade, then tore it down to restore, and promptly won an AMCA Junior First Award (to be followed later by a Senior award).  The bike was on loan to the New York City Police Museum until recently.

This is very close to what mine will look like when complete.  I really like the black rims, maroon paint, and the camel-colored saddle together.  Note the standard Indian toolbox, mounted in a non-standard way.  I guess this was a feature of the police bike, along with a special speedometer, calibrated in 2-mph increments, and a keyless ignition knob.  Pretty cool!

2 comments:

  1. That's beautiful. I love the understated look of less chrome, it kind brings out the flow of the bodywork as the primary focus.

    I had a maroon '46-'48 Chief pass me on the road a couple of weeks ago (I'm kicking myself for not chasing the guy down and introducing myself). The color is even more fetching in person. Some colors just seem perfect for a given vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey approves too! She doesn't give an opinion on this sort of stuff often but she is never wrong...

    ReplyDelete